Re: [OM] Nearly FREE stuff! Act NOW!

Subject: Re: [OM] Nearly FREE stuff! Act NOW!
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:34:09 -0400
I was trolling in the Bay for a "user" OM-1 for those occasional
situations where I don't want to risk injury to one of my more
precious OMs of the 3, 4 and 4T(i) kind, when I came across a
promising looking $100 BIN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2924001599

It all arrived last week, and here is what I'm keeping and what
you can have:

The OM-1n was in a case inside the original box, and except for
being covered with greasy dirt, almost like it had been stored
next to the freedom fries cooker at a McDonald's, it looked
great.  A few minutes with a soft toothbrush and some denatured
alcohol, and it literally sparkles.  There's no brassing and nary
a mark anywhere, not even around the tripod socket.  The meter
works, the shutter sounds fine, and it arrived with a silver-nose
50/1.8 attached.  It too was dirty, but the glass is perfect and
it cleaned up nicely.  This is my first silver-nose lens, and AG
Schnozz is right: They are cute.

Obviously, I failed to get the "beater" body I was looking for,
but I am strong and can live with the disappointment.  ;-)  It's
leaving soon for a CLA and battery conversion.  Be on the lookout,
John.

Now for the nearly free stuff.  This offer good only for folks in
the USA or Canada.  Those of you in more furrin countries may need
to pay extra, depending on what the shipping costs are.  I'm not
looking to make a profit, but, on the other hand, this ain't no
eleemosynary foundation here.

The case shows a fair amount of wear, but it's not in what I would
call terrible shape.  It's the kind that Clint described as
a "pile driver," because it attaches to the tripod socket with a
big screw.  I don't like camera cases and never use them.  $5 for
packing and shipping and it's on its way to whoever emails me
first.  A little saddle soap and maybe a dose of neatsfoot oil and
it will be presentable.

Then there are the OM-1n instruction manuals, both of 'em, the
real one and the "at a glance" one.  I know these things sell on
eBay for $10 or more, but $5 gets the pair.  They're in excellent
condition.

The Shoe 4, also a bit greasy, but now cleaned, uncracked and
complete with the top cover, I'm keeping.  The focus screen box
that supposedly housed a focusing screen contained the tweezers,
the brush, and TWO focusing screens, a 1-1 and a 1-3,  both
perfect.  I'm keeping those, and the two body caps and three rear
lens caps.  Considering recent eBay prices, these things are worth
close to the $100 I paid.

The 200/4, complete with original box, data sheet and case, looked
really nice, until I peeked through it and saw the fungus monster
residing on the second element from the rear.  Except for that,
the lens looks fine and dandy.  Of course, that's sort of like
asking, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?"
Anyway, I've got an only slightly hazy 65-200/4 Zuiko, a 180/2.8
Zuiko, and a Tamron 80-200/2.8, so even if this lens were perfect,
it would never get out of the cabinet.

The case is coming apart in a couple of places.  The lining is
okay, but the foam rubber bumper thingy in the bottom has
dissolved into disgusting crumbs.  It could be refurbished to be
at least usable and moderately presentable.  Me, I hate lens
cases.  They're fungus incubators, IMO, and the condition of this
lens just reinforces that O.

Since there may not be anyone who wants all these, I'll split them
up thusly: Box, case and data sheet, $5.00.  Lens, minus front and
rear caps, which I'm keeping, $5.00 to whoever wants to undertake
a project.  Or the whole mess for $10.

I'm keeping the 25A Vivitar filter, but I don't need any more
linear polarizers, which these are.  Way too confusing with a half
dozen OM-4s. So, either the 49mm or the 50mm Vivitar PL filters
are $3 per, or both for $5.00.  They're in good condition,
complete with boxes and plastic cases.

Finally, there's a camera strap of a sort I've never seen before.
I don't mean to imply that it's rare; I just haven't seen one.
Maybe it's from the Wyoming plant.  It's leather and has a sliding
rubber piece with "Olympus" in raised letters for the neck pad.
It's in fair shape.  $3 gets it, complete with rings.

That's all, folks.  You can start now.

Walt