Re: [OM] Butterflies of Costa Rica

Subject: Re: [OM] Butterflies of Costa Rica
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:58:24 -0400
Very nice work, Matt.  Shooting these things can be habit-forming.

The 65~116 tube and 135/4.5 combo, both with and without flash,
are what I have used as my bug shooting outfit for years. (My TOPE
shots 6 and 8 were taken with this setup.) But this summer I'm
trying something new: OM-4Ti, F280, a full set of the three Oly
auto extension tubes, and a Tamron 300/2.8, all on a monopod.
With the stacked tubes, the 300 will focus from 4 ft., where it
covers a field 4 in. wide, out to 7 ft. 2 in., where it covers an
8-in. wide area.

The Tamron is amazingly good even wide open, and at 4 ft.,
shooting at anything from f/2.8 to f/16 or so with Provia 100F,
the F280 seems to have enough power for fill even in sunlight, so
there's not the flat appearance you sometimes get when using flash
as the primary or overpowering light source.

In addition, the combination of shallow depth of field, nine-blade
diaphragm set to a large aperture, particularly f/2.8 or f/4,
coupled with a background underexposed about one stop because of
fill flash on the subject, and I'm anticipating some drooling, or
at least oohs and aahs, from the bokeh nuts.

I've only done some preliminary test shots, but as summer brings
the bugs and I get a chance to put this rig into use, barring a
hernia or ruptured disc from toting it around, I'll post some pics
somewhere.  Wish me luck -- and strength.

Walt