Re: [OM] Butterflies of Costa Rica

Subject: Re: [OM] Butterflies of Costa Rica
From: Matt BenDaniel <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:33:51 -0400
At 11:15 24-04-03 -0400, Fast Primes wrote:
>Hi Matt,
>
>    Great work! I was in Costa Rica myself, with only a 100F2.0 as my longest
> lens and I had great difficulty getting close enough for a frame filling
> shot. Did you use fill flash and/or a tripod? If not, what shutter/aperture
> combinations were you using?

Thanks. The longer exposures (natural light) were 1 second or so, depending on
whether the subject was quiescent or not. My apertures were mostly f/8 - f/22
on E200 (which I think is a great film). When I shoot Velvia 50, often the
exposure needs to be multiple seconds long.

I'm still a beginner at using flash, and I only had one T20 with me. Now that I
know a bit better now (I have been reading about hummer photography), I'd bring
a slave flash with me for the background.

>    I also had a Pantx 645 with a 120F4.0 (about 70mm in 35mm terms) 1:1 macro
> and I had NO luck what so ever with that either. It seemed to me butterflies
> require at least the 135 you had and perhaps a 180F2.8 or 65-200 zoom with
> ext tube or diopter close-up lenses as well.

Especially if flash is involved, a fast lens does not help much. Stopping the
lens down for depth of field means that you're not using much of the glass,
except for focusing.
--
Matt BenDaniel
matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx