Re: [OM] Cleaning film speed dial?

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning film speed dial?
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:18:01 -0600
>>  My OM2S has a weird tendency to _sometimes_ over-read a lot....
>
> Quite common on the OM-2s.  Moving the ASA knob back and forth once
> in a while is fine but it should have been corrected during any
> typical overhaul.  If nothing else is wrong you can wait until it
> needs more work.

 Yeah, I get the impression that when I sent it in they fixed the wonky
manual speed dial and that was about it -- if it's something I can safely
ignore (and keep working around) for now, then I'll do that and then send it
off to you/John once I'm back in Canada again and can afford to be without
it for an extended time. As it is, I have a spare OM10 body with me that did
the job while the OM2S was off being looked at, which worked okay, but I
really missed spot metering (and the 2-13 screen makes an _amazing_
difference, now I have the chance to compare them).

> The only solution is to remove the top cover and coat the ASA VR with
> "conductive grease".  Anyone who squirts lighter fluid into a camera
> they are not 100 0.000000amiliar with is an incompetent fool.

 Ack.. Well, I suppose I can just hope nothing goes wrong with it as a
result -- it seems fine so far, at least.

> The big problem isn't getting things back right -- the big problem is
> turning a little problem into an unrepairable one, like blowing the
> brains out of the CPU or the Head Amp.

 Hm. Okay, I'll steer clear of that for now -- thanks for the warning!

 -- dan