RE: [OM] Ball Heads

Subject: RE: [OM] Ball Heads
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:09:22 -0500
The new Natural Image magazine from George Lepp has an extensive discussion of
high-quality ballheads in this issue.  I don't have it here, but my
recollection (paraphrased) is this:

"The Arca-Swiss B1 is just about the best there is in all respects, but it's
relatively heavy and expensive."

"Several others: Kirk, Bogen, Giotto, and Gitzo (and others), came in a close
second, but his unswerving recommendation was to immediately chuck any QR plate
except one compatible with the Arca-Swiss system.  Buy a replacement QR
mechanism from Kirk or Really-Right-Stuff."

If you follow that recommendation, you have to figure the price of any ballhead
plus a high-quality QR system.  I've used QR systems from Gitzo, Bogen, and
Arca-Swiss, and I can tell you that the RRS plates with an AS system are
absolutely the best solution.  They are rock-solid, they are metal-to-metal
(preventing tripod hole stress), and they come in more shapes and sizes than
you could ever use.  I have four RRS plates, which I'll likely have until I'm
old and gray.

As I've said before, you will NEVER regret the purchase of an AS-B1 head.  You
might not want to carry it far though.

I can do a summary tonight of the article if anyone wants to know, just ask.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost