Re: [OM] OT Composing Tables

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Composing Tables
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:17:15 -0700
I've never used Outlook, Outlook Express, or whatever MS/IE uses. If for no other reason, they are one of the major paths for virus contamination. In any mail program where you can choose the font you compose in, there should be one or more fonts, the most common being Courier, which assigns the same screen width to each character.

When you make a table with a variable width font, such as Times or Arial, the different characters have different widths and the space character, in particular, is quite narrow. When you then send the message to the list with HTML off, as you should to keep the digest readers happy, it ends up on the list in a fixed width font and the columns are unaligned and really difficult to read. You can see how the original table Giles posted is impossible to read, whereas the table in my reply is properly lined up.

Moose

Titoy wrote:

Hi Moose

what do you mean by "Fixed Width Font? How is this done? Is this done on
Outlook Express?