Re: [OM] Bokeh & macro lenses as portrait lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh & macro lenses as portrait lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:40:14 -0700
Well, I have both extremes. My Opemus enlarger came with a lens with a square aperture! I have a Carl Zeiss Jena 50/2.8 Tessar with a 14 blade aperture. I'd test the bokeh, but I don't really want to spend a lot of time messing around with a very old Practiflex. According to the Camera mounts & registers table, it has a 40X1 thread, not an M42, and the register distance is slightly shorter than an OM, so I doubt there is any way to try it on an Oly either.

Moose

Winsor Crosby wrote:

On the other hand with the argument that bokeh is related to the number of aperture blades I would presume that the basis of that is that the more blades the better it approaches a perfect circle. I doubt that there is a significant difference in the form of the aperture between an F4 lens with 6 blades and a physically larger F2 lens with 9 blades. I think that Oly must have a standard tolerance of the aperture deviation from a circle and adds more blades as the lens gets faster, not to improve bokeh. I think H.K. Ling is probably right that it has more to do with the design of the lens. Of course square or donut shaped apertures are another thing entirely.