Re: [OM] Bokeh & macro lenses as portrait lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh & macro lenses as portrait lenses
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:00:52 -0700
On the other hand with the argument that bokeh is related to the number of aperture blades I would presume that the basis of that is that the more blades the better it approaches a perfect circle. I doubt that there is a significant difference in the form of the aperture between an F4 lens with 6 blades and a physically larger F2 lens with 9 blades. I think that Oly must have a standard tolerance of the aperture deviation from a circle and adds more blades as the lens gets faster, not to improve bokeh. I think H.K. Ling is probably right that it has more to do with the design of the lens. Of course square or donut shaped apertures are another thing entirely.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA