Re: [OM] om-1 versus om-3

Subject: Re: [OM] om-1 versus om-3
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 18:28:05 -0800
on 4/5/03 9:53 AM, BA at ande@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you elaborate on "meter your hand"?  It sounds like I just stick
> my hand in front of the lens and change the settings with the other
> hand (whilst holding the camera with my third hand ... waitaminnit ...
> *g*).
>
> For each shot, or just "lots of times until you learn how your meter
> behaves"?

> On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 06:55:28 -0600, you wrote:
>
>> My first OM was the OM-1 and I got pretty good setting exposures with
>> it.  You kind of have to learn to use the meter as though it is the world's
>> widest spot meter, meter your hand, etc., to shoot chromes consistently
>> well.  Not bad skills to develop by any means.  The winding on a
>> well-maintained OM-1(N) is indeed wonderful.

Meter your hand in the same light as the subject. If you are a white
caucasian your hand is about 1 stop brighter than the 18 0ray that the
meter is shooting for... so you meter your hand and close down one more
stop. This is an old 'zone system' trick for when you don't have the gray
card in your pocket, you use your hand and place it in 'zone 4' (or 'zone 5'
if you want) and there you are. The good thing about this trick is you
always have what you need... it comes in handy sometimes <g>
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...