Re: [OM] shipping stories

Subject: Re: [OM] shipping stories
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:22:59 -0800

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 09:03 AM, Bill Pearce wrote:

It was sent
(I have a friend with an account, and I know exactly when it was picked up), and it never was listed on the tracking system. Almost a month later, after having initated a search, and as we were filling out the claim paperwork, the PROCESSED film arrived in the mail. Never did show up on the tracking
system. Must have gone to the lab via teleportation.

When my telescope was lost, I found out that the tracking system used by UPS on their web site is not real. It is for customer consumption only. It is not based on scans of the package. They just enter the information about where it_should_ be. They have their own internal tracking that is separate and based upon scans, but it is not complete which is why they make it up for the web site. Sort of like the Enron accounting books. :-)

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA