[OM] shipping stories

Subject: [OM] shipping stories
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:03:27 -0600
About a year ago, I sent a roll of Scala to the lab in Florida via UPS,
thinking I would have the advantage of the web tracking system. It was sent
(I have a friend with an account, and I know exactly when it was picked up),
and it never was listed on the tracking system. Almost a month later, after
having initated a search, and as we were filling out the claim paperwork,
the PROCESSED film arrived in the mail. Never did show up on the  tracking
system. Must have gone to the lab via teleportation.

There was an elderly gentleman here who had lived in the same house for over
50 years, in a neighborhood close to the city center. He refused to move,
saying he was keeping it for his children who had grown up in it, although
they all had fine professional careers in major cities. They pleaded and
beged for him to move, but he wouldn't, despite the crack house next door.
That's right, a real, honest-to-God crack house, just like on TV.

He was visiting a child in Southern California, and he visited a stereo
dealer, who was having a sale on Carver equipment (that give you an idea of
the time this happened). He got a whole setup, thousands of dollars. He had
the store ship it to his home, via UPS. About three weeks after he returned,
he called the store to see where his stuff was. They had shipped it nearly a
month before. According to UPS, when the driver attempted delivery, no one
was home, and he left it with "the next door neighbors." A claim was to be
filed, but UPS said they would "just send a man out to the neighbors and
pick it up." Yeah, sure. He got his check.

Bill Pearce