Re: [OM] Photo Printer

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Printer
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:37:10 -0800

Thank you, Lama. Yes, I've used Adobe Gamma and several other similar tools, but all this amounts to no more than bustle--it boils down to by guess and by gum. Now that might be close enough for web display purposes--let's face it, what you _think_ others see on their monitors is probably not all that close to what they _actually_ see on their monitors, so no matter how "accurate" one display is the rest probably won't be. I know this to be true from experience on various photo websites over the past few years. People out there are seeing in many cases entirely different images. There simply is no set standard, and if there were a standard most users wouldn't bother adhering to it.

That's for web purposes.

For printing purposes all I've read agrees that the only way to accurately calibrate your monitor vis-a-vis what you'll finally get from a printer is to use a spyder. Based on my limited tests here with my new Epson I'd have to say this is all-too true. The tint from the B&W test image I printed on semi-gloss was considerably off from what I _thought_ I had achieved based on my monitor image. That being the case, I can only imagine how far off skin tones might be in, say, a portraiture shot in color. For that kind of work close just doesn't make it. I want it to be e-x-a-c-t.

My question was, specifically: what software is required to make various color profiles to be used by PS and/or the Epson print software? Does the spyder software itself do this? Is is necessary to pick up one of those other independent programs? If so, does anyone on this list have experience with these standalones?

Tris

Tris,
The way I'm reading this, you already have Photoshop. Until you get a spyder, you might as well calibrate your monitor using "Adobe
Gamma".

I don't know which version of PS include "Adobe Gamma" and which don't but it came with Photoshop Elements v1. It took about 8 minutes to go through the wizard and it made a huge difference to being able to print. The thing about it, "Adobe Gamma" is kinda hidden. As I recall, it's not reachable directly from a PC's "Start" menu. The good news is it's easy to get at anyway!

If you have a PC, go to "Control Panel". You may be surprised to see "Adobe Gamma" has been sitting there every since you installed
PS.  I was.

Lama