Re: [OM] ? Gitzo Explorer and Tamron 80-200mm f2.8 ?

Subject: Re: [OM] ? Gitzo Explorer and Tamron 80-200mm f2.8 ?
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:34:04 -0500
I use the Performance tripods (older) which allow almost ground-level operation
with an Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead.  What do you want to know about the Explorer
tripods?  My combo supports big glass just fine.  In my last lifetime, I had a
350/2.8, and it was fine with that monster.

About the Tamron 80-200/2.8: the tripod collar's foot should point towards the
front of the lens.

And I differ with Walt.  I use the 80-200 a lot, and for landscape shots, I
keep the foot rotated to about the 7:00 position as seen from the back of the
lens.  That way the foot rests on the palm of my hand, allowing me to work the
zoom/focus ring with ease.  I find the lens much less comfortable without using
it this way.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost