[OM] ? Gitzo Explorer and Tamron 80-200mm f2.8 ?

Subject: [OM] ? Gitzo Explorer and Tamron 80-200mm f2.8 ?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 08:28:33 EST
Does anyone on the list have any experience with the Gitzo Explorer tripods?
I'm current using a Bogen 3021 with a 3030 head and really want something
which will let me get on or near the ground for macro work with bugs, flowers
and other stuff which lives at ground level.  These tripods seem to
reasonable solutions.  Another thing I might throw into the mix is that I
also use a Tamron 400mm f4 and it would be nice to have something which might
handle this a bit better.  Yes, I know I want to have everything in one
tripod, but these guys are not inexpensive and I really don't want to own 4
tripods.  Any other good solutions that might handle the ground level/big
telephoto issue would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a Tamron 80-200mm f2.8 and when it arrived the tripod
collar had the foot facing back toward the camera.  It would seem to me the
foot should face toward the front of the lens.  Is that correct?  TIA, Bill
Barber