Re: [OM] Standard lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Standard lens?
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:53:17 -0700
If the 55/1.2 is a silvernose (chrome around the filter and aperture rings), it's almost certainly radioactive. The yellow isn't terribly subtle either, although all 55's are SC and have coatings that reflect somewhat yellowish. If the glass itself is yellow, looking _through_ the lens will show a definite yellow cast. Somewhere I had some scans of the radioactive element from a 50/1.4 compared with a non-radioactive element. I'll see if I can dig them up somewhere if anyone cares.

And yes, as Moose suggested, a Geiger counter does work very well :)

Mark.

Per Ohstrom wrote:
Just one little question is lingering in my mind: How can I tell the
difference between the two versions of the 55/1.2?  Is it the yellow
glass one should look for?  What colour does the non-radioactive glass
have?