Re: [OM] 100/2 and 90 mm

Subject: Re: [OM] 100/2 and 90 mm
From: W Shumaker <omlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:41:10 -0500
I would give up my 90/2 before I'd give up my 100/2. I use the 100/2
more. For the weight, they are about the same, but the slightly extra
reach of the 100 is desirable to me. The 90/2 aperture control is near
the lens mount while the 100/2 is toward the front. The aperture
preview is easier to get to on the 100/2. 100/2 has slightly smaller
diameter. The 100/2 focuses to 30 inches (1:5?) while the 90/2 focus to
15 inches (1:2). Both stop down to f22. They both use nearly 360
degrees of rotation for focusing, which means there is finer focus
control with the 100/2, especially near infinity. If you do a lot of
macro, you may prefer the 90, if you use a mid-telephoto more, you may
prefer the 100, where you are more likely to use it wide open. After
going to a Rod Planck seminar, working distance (less disturbance) and
background control in macro work is important and Rod tends to use a
200mm Nikon macro lens. So my zuiko choice would be to carry extension
tubes. The 90 is close to the 35-80/2.8 or the 85/2, my preference if I
don't need macro. Unfortunately the 100/2 with 2x is not so hot. I
should test it with the Vivitar 2x that also has the macro extension
control.

Wayne