[OM] [OT]Airport Scanning (an update)

Subject: [OM] [OT]Airport Scanning (an update)
From: "Boris Grigorov" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:29:05 -0500 (EST)
Cc:
Just an update on the scanning procedures at various airports.

Last week I was in West Palm Beach, FL.  Being from Connecticut, I had the
choice of two airports: either go to Hartford or go to New York.  I picked the
second one, because the airfare was about half as cheap.
Kennedy airport:

There was only one tiny sign that said the usual stuff about film being safe if
its speed is above 800.  Seemed very understaffed.  Unwilling to visually
inspect, there was someone waaaay ahead of me who requested and was told that
it was safe (he told them that his films were slow).  I personally did not care
at the time, because did not have anything in my cameras and the plan was to
purchase the film when I arrive at West Palm Beach.

On my way back:

West Palm Beach airport

Signs, signs everywhere.  Warning the passengers that the old 800 rule does not
apply anymore and urging the ones with concerns to have their equipment
visually inspected.  They did more than that.
But first as a little side note: 35mm cameras are not considered professional
equipment.  I had my Yashica TLR checked with something that looked like a
nightstick curved at the end.  I think it is the same as the metal detector
they use when you go through the door and the alarm goes off, because you have
steel toes for example.  I was not able to pursue them not to scan the OM PC
though? It went through some scanning, but I think it was one of the older
machines.

The moral of the story is that if you want to travel, your film is not safe and
in some instances, you have to fight for the right to have it visually
inspected.
Cheers
Boris