Re: [OM] Re: "Americanism," the American way and this list OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: "Americanism," the American way and this list OT
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:50:51 -0800
In a way I agree with your position, Rob. Then again, what's wrong with doing what we can in the real world to affect what good change (on balance) we might?

Comparing America's "expansionistic" policies to those of Hitler, Mao and Stalin is not only somewhat distasteful but ignorant of history insofar as Mao led a state which has existed from time immemorial not as an expansionistic nation state but rather isolationist with regard to its world views and actions. True, Mao was part of a larger political persuasion of communism that threatened to spread its point of view (actually various and conflicting points of view as "communism" has never enjoyed a single ideal even in broad concept, much less practice).

Consider: a better person to cite in your given case than Mao might have been, say, Napoleon.

Better still I think you'd be wisest to drop the allusions to Hitler and Stalin and Mao or Napoleon and make reference instead to the Roman nation (and then empire) state before its apogee. Such an effort would succeed in describing a much closer parallel to this notion of "American empire" you wish to articulate.

Regardless, thanks for your input, thanks for bothering. I welcome different views, always encourage their open expression. Apparently you're of a similar mind.

Tris

I wish I could pass on this...but I can't.

If you use the same rationale, then we, as humanitarian people, should be invading and conquering nations all over the world. We should leave Iraq and head to Zimbabwe where we could oust Robert Mugabe, arguably a nastier stong-man than Saddam. Then we'd head out to Chechnya and Armenia and Serbia and Turkey and East Timor and Tibet...and the list goes on and on. If it's comforting to think of this expansionist move and the damage it does to the U.N. as "humanitarian" in nature, then pop open a cold one and sing "Kumbaya," but be sure you reflect on the similar humanitarian efforts that history credits to guys like Hitler, Mao and Stalin. ;-)

-Rob