Re: [OM] Filters Filters Filters!

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters Filters Filters!
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:35:20 -0600
At 12:49 AM 3/10/2003 +0800, you wrote:
I was very very unhappy with my shots, and so my friend said "chuck the filter and see". Well, just got slides back, sharp! Hmm.. So that old Tiffen filter really did suck that bad! Serious degradation of the image..

So I'm going to replace it. I also have a Tiffen Polarizer, and I want to replace that as well. Are there multi-coated polarizers??

I have a B+W, excellent, but $$$!!! I also have a Konica MC UV, and it is just awesome! I can't see it from certain angles... It transmits that much light. Much better then my B+W, and 1/4th the price. I couldn't find one in 49mm, the dealer sold out.

Any other brand recommendations?  What is everybody's views on Hoya?

Albert

Hoya's have been great for me. Not the cheapest. You don't want the cheapest, but then again how do you know without testing them? Gary Reese once tested a bunch of filters and had quite a few failures, including B+Ws. Hoya came out about as well as any IIRC.

If you wonder about a filter, test it. Use a tripod, self-timer and shoot with and without. Try to get a bit of metallic glare in your test setting. If you can't tell the difference in your normal manner of evaluating your photographs, you've got a pretty good filter. When I did this, I had good filters among all different brands including some no-name types.

I usually have a protection filter on my lenses, though I rarely shoot with them. I remove them unless I am in a great hurry to get a shot off. 99% of the time if I have a filter on the lens it is a polarizer.

Joel W.