Re: [OM] Parts purchase volunteers, please read

Subject: Re: [OM] Parts purchase volunteers, please read
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:04:20 -0600
The excell file that lists all the parts included in this lot was 92 pages
long, with 48 part #'s per page.  At the end it shows the cumulative "net
cost" of all the parts as $91,889.70, including 48,888 individual parts.  I
don't know what the reserve is ($3300 hasn't broken it), but whatever it is,
it might appear to be a "bargain" at first.  But realize that 99.90f the
parts here will never be used -- obscure plates, screws, springs, levers that
never break or go bad, so....

If I had been asked, I would have suggested that the seller separate them into
like-lots rather than one huge lot -- a few lots of Pearlcorder parts, a few
OM System lots, etc.  Then it might have been practical for specialty shops
(like John or I) to handle them, both financially and practically.

That, or just retail them.  But, as I suspect they've discovered, handling
that many parts is a full time job (and not a well-paying one at that!) even
IF you know what you're dealing with.  Unless you know which parts are
"original" and which are "improved", and when one will work and not the other,
it would be impossible.