[OM] This is NOT urban legend

Subject: [OM] This is NOT urban legend
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 22:13:15 -0800 (PST)
I had a fun afternoon chasing some info down for a police
department.

Seems that a certain individual contacted the local gendarme to
file a complain against somebody else in town for "hijacking"
his Eb*y account.  This somebody else had accessed his account
and closed a couple of auctions and altered the payment
information.

Half a cellphone battery later I've managed to find the
"violator".  (both were my ISP customers).

The rest of the story:  The person who filed the complaint
happens to be a well known thief.  He had broken into a local
business and stolen a bunch of stuff and proceeded to sell it on
Eb*y.  Well, the store owner just happened to be cruising the
b*y and encountered the auctions being posted by his good buddy
the thief.  (these two characters have a history that dates back
years).  Anyway the store owner tries to see if he can access
the account and managed to guess the password.  Wasn't too
difficult--thiefs aren't usually too bright.  I could have
figured it out in three seconds.

The local authorities were trying to figure out what if any laws
were broken (by the store owner) and who's jurisdiction it would
fall under.  The detective was inclined to just put the thief in
jail for possession of stolen property and call it a day.

Beware of H*rley Davids*n shop owners with DSL connections.

No OM content, just thought you'd like to know what I did on
Friday.

AG-have server logs will travel-Schnozz