Re: [OM] Yosemite and [OT] N. Cal photo

Subject: Re: [OM] Yosemite and [OT] N. Cal photo
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:02:36 +0100
On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:44:40 -0800
"George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Expect to spend a lot of time driving!.  From Berkeley it's
> probably a 3.5 to 4 hour drive. Assuming you hit all the directions
> right the first time. And assuming no traffic problems.
>
> I did find out that the tent cabins are available in 'winter' but
> only on Fr and Sat nite.

Well, one possibility would be, then, for me to go friday afternoon
and stay over the night. That might be interresting. I believe that I
have some additional information regarding the cabins from our
previous mail exchange, so I will definitely give it serious
thoughts. I agree, 3-4h driving before even hitting the area is
steep. Alternatively, I would go to bed quite early friday and get up
and driving at, say, 3AM or thereabouts.

The objective will primarilly be to experience the patch of nature,
secondarilly to get some good photos home. So I will try to travel
light (I am thinking 24/2, 55/1.2 and 135/2.8 and one body) and
allocate at least 6-8 hours for being out of the care and actually
cruising around in the nature.

How will the road conditions be? Should I expect to get stuck in
snow, or will it be possible to drive reasonably easilly to a site,
where I can park and hike out (good boots, of course...)

>  I've been non-commital about that weekend (22-23, right?
> because I've got to be in Tempe, Az the following Thurs so will
> leave for there on Wed and will probably be doing last-minute stuff
> the weekend before.

Yeah, you have been non-commital about that, although I still hope
that you will be able to make it.

> Sounds like the rest of the N. Cal crew has some interesting things
> lined up to show you.  My recom, unless you have super-high energy
> level, is to stay close to Berkeley (the Tilden Park trip is one I
> would do with you guys if I was able) the day you're not going to
> Yos, otherwise you'll see too much windshield and not enuf
> California.

:) Some years back I did the "SF -> San Diego -> Las Vegas -> Grand
Canyon -> LA -> SF" tour, staying off (as far as possible)
interstates and highways. While it definitely was more interresting
to go by back roads, it did turn into way too much windshield and way
too little California. You guys have really large splendid patches of
nature laying around - which I much prefer experiencing in ways other
than driving through.

Thanks for your advices, they are most appreciated.

--thomas