Re: [OM] Film recommendations needed, thanks.

Subject: Re: [OM] Film recommendations needed, thanks.
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:15:24 +0800
Roger Wesson wrote:

Does the cost of the slides include processing? That might make it better value. But anyway, weren't you complaining recently about people scrimping on film to put through their expensive camera gear? OK, I'm a slide evangelist, but I really find the results so much better than any print film I've used. Maybe do a side by side comparison of a print film and a slide, and see if the extra may be worth paying.

Roger

Roger, yes I was the one complaining about people who scrounge on film, but one thing I have to take into consideration is development and scratches.... I shoot almost all slide in America, but I don't shoot slide in Taiwan... Slide film is rediculously expensive, by the time I develop it and pay for mounting, it's roughly 5x the price of print film.... So if it's a choice between provia vs. reala, I'd probably pick reala, as (unlike them Leica owners, I'm a poor scrounging student!!)

Also, the slide film stock here is VERY questionable to me... 990f slide film used here is 120's, of the 8 camera stores I go to, only 2 have slide film... (probably explains the price) but I ask how often people buy it, and they say not very often... and so it makes me wonder how long that stock has been sitting there... I went and "rotated" a roll, and went back a week later, and it was still that way... which means they don't even sell 1 roll in a week... makes me go hmm...

Albert