Re: [OM] Re: Nikon Digital Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Nikon Digital Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:43:11 -0800
This is still not a long range solution. No matter what lens you design for it, the 'full-sized' SLR with a small sensor is bigger than it needs to be. The register distance from film to lens mount and the size and swing of the mirror are still too large to allow lenses really optimized to the sensor size. Every thing below short tele has to be retrofocus design. They may make some money off it, but it is strictly a time filler move. In the long run, full size SLRs based on the 24x36mm format will have full size sensors.

The truth is that pixel densities and sensitivity will continue to increase and noise levels will continue to come down. Just as some feel the Canon 1Ds already meets and in some way exceeds MF film, there will be a sensor in the not distant future that outperforms 35mm film, at least for most purposes, and is about a 1/4-1/3 the size. The ultimate lower limit for sensor size will be partially determined by the problems with sharpness problems, from diffraction limiting, with small apertures on short focal length lenses. Sensor sensitivity adjustment and maybe even internal ND filters with lenses with only a stop or 2 below wide open may become part of the standard means of exposure adjustment.

Somebody is going to produce a SLR camera system with such a sensor and a smaller mount with shorter register distance and smaller lenses. This will bring back the rough size/weight character of the OM and other small 35mm SLRs (which is about the minimum ergonomic size for this kind of tool for human hands), but with smaller, lighter lenses. I believe this is where the Oly 4/3 system is aimed. An existing 'full size' mount is simply useless for this purpose, as it would seriously compromise optimal camera design for the sensor format. My guess is that this basic design will become the standard for 'prosumer' cameras and 'full size' SLRs will be a small, specialty market like MF today. Given that scenario for the forseeable future, being the first manufacturer to get the new form 'right' is significantly more important than rushing something to market. Oly is doing fine in the P&S market. Why risk the company on a new system until being reasonably sure that it is built around a sensor size that will remain standard for some time so that sensors with upgraded performance can be incorporated without wholesale mechanical system redesign?

I hope Oly succeeds, but whoever does will likely supply my next camera system. The Canon 1Ds is clearly a remarkable camera, but even if it cost 1/5 of what it does, I would hesitate because of the sheer size and weight.

I know people keep referring to the proposed system as 4/3", but I'm sure I read an official release that said the 4/3 referred to width/height ratio of the format, not actual sensor size. I'm betting a good part of the reason for the delay in even a production prototype is the rapid change in sensor technology, making it hard to even settle the final sensor size, let alone lens design requirements optimized for type of sensor.

Moose

Winsor Crosby wrote:

Pre-PMA 2003, 15:00 TOKYO: Nikon has today confirmed the details of their first digital only lens, the Nikkor AF-S DX 12 - 24 mm F4.0. This lens and the DX concept was first announced in December last year. The DX lens line is designed to be used exclusively with digital SLR's with a sensor size of 23.7 x 15.6 mm (a 1.5x FOV crop factor), thus this lens could be used on the Nikon D1x, D1H or D100. On these cameras it would provide an equivelant field of view range of 18 -36 mm.

Evidently Nikon is taking the path that I thought Olympus should take. First they issued a body that was compatible for current owners of Nikon lens systems. Then the way they deal with the multiplication effect by issuing new high profit lenses that deal with the wide angle issue. I imagine that this new lens will get such good reviews that Nikon lens owners will be frothing at the mouth to make the digital plunge and to "upgrade" their old lenses with new "digital" replacements. With one stroke Nikon has removed the main objection to their more modestly price DSLRs, cemented loyalty with current owners, created a market of upgrades, and probably captured customers from other makes.

Nikon: smart; Olympus: dumb.