Re: [OM] Another OM-PC question

Subject: Re: [OM] Another OM-PC question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:33:31 -0800
I'm afraid the metering system in the PC is like that in the 2Sp and 4(T), and will be affected by the orientation of a linear polarizer. However, consider that in Auto mode, the TTL exposure is off the shutter curtain and/or film with the mirror up, so the shutter speed indicated in the viewfinder may not be right but the actual exposure will still be correct, but perhaps not at the shutter speed you were expecting.

ESP/Auto is TTL, but not OTF, in that it sets a fixed shutter speed before opening the first curtain. What I don't know for sure is whether it sets shutter speed before the mirror goes up, in which case it will have a problem, or after, in which case it will be like regular Auto. The manual says "As soon as you fire the shutter, the camera will measure the light intensity...... The micro-computer then processes this information...." That sounds like shutter speed is set off the first curtain with the mirror up, but isn't definitive.

A linear polarizer will cause exposure problems in Manual mode.

OMPC is my favorite Oly body for casual shooting. Put in ESP/Program, focus and shoot in the vast majority of cases will give a great picture (but only sure to work with Zuikos!). ESP/Auto is as good as spot for most situations, and better in the sense that you don't have to remember to use it and it's faster. In fact, watching the ESP indicator in the viewfinder has made me realize I don't use Spot nearly as often as it might be called for on the OM-4(T(i))s. And it adds the TTL/OTF flash with T series flashes that was missing in all the other 'double-digit' bodies. Build quality isn't up to the single digit bodies and I've heard on the list about a problem with circuitry going bad with use/age/??. So I've acquired a 'few' PC bodies (any excuse for a Zuikoholic!) and so far, none have any problem. They are also really cheap compared to 4 series bodies, so I can feel comfortable where I might not with an expensive kit.

Moose

Timpe, Jim wrote:

Hate to tell you this, but I'm pretty sure the 40/PC needs circular ones.
Or, just shoot in ESP/automatic mode only.