Re: [OM] Flash sync & slavery (barely OM)

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash sync & slavery (barely OM)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:22:59 -0500
At 12:00 2/17/03, you wrote:
All,

Interesting thing here -- help please!

[snipped out monolight/slave description]

Dave,
Additional thoughts . . .
Also look in the specs for anything about a "pre-fire" (visible or IR) that is used for the AF or AE.

3) Does the camera have a hot shoe? If so, have you tried triggering the slaved monolights using a flash in the shoe (not a Canon type). This might work also . . . by defeating the PowerShot's built-in flash.

BTW, I've triggered monolights with built-in optical slaves using a Metz 40 MZ in an OM hot shoe. Head is pointed at ceiling and flash cranked down to lowest possible power. Same could be done with something like a Vivitar 283/285 (WARNING: provided it's one of the newer low voltage versions; the older high trigger voltage ones will fry electronic camera trigger circuits.) The Sunpak 383 Super would do just as well too; it's Sunpak's version of a Vivitar 285.

-- John

2) Can you turn off AF and evaluative metering entirely and try shooting it in "manual" mode, both AF and AE (this *might* turn off a pre-fire)?

I strongly suspect some form of pre-fire that is either so low powered or close to the flash going off you cannot detect it, or tha it's non-visible IR, and this is pre-firing your monolights. If I had to bet on it, I'd bet on an extremely low powered visible light pre-flash for the AE (E-TTL ??) system.

-- John