Re: [OM] Problem with Olympus 35 SP

Subject: Re: [OM] Problem with Olympus 35 SP
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 01:37:48 -0800
Pretty sure he's meaning the 35-SP rangefinder from the early 1970's and not
the OM-2Sp (program) SLR.

This sounds like the shutter-leafs are sticky, a common problem with older
leaf-shutter rangefinders. Most commonly the leafs stick at the slow speeds,
so they either won't open, or open but then won't shut completely... At
higher speeds the shutter springs are tensioned more, so sometimes the
shutter will kick through at 1/250th, but not at 1/15th.

While relatively straightforward, disassembly and cleaning is called for and
is not an 'beginners' job... I would't start on agreat shape 35-SP, as they
aren't the simplest to work on. I suspect John H. or Clint could fix it, but
I'm not sure it would be economic, unless its one of the rarer black-finish
35-SP's... (one of which just sold for ~$240 on the 'bay!).
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

and a few old rangefinders...