[OM] Re: [OT] Re: Parisian arrogance, high-speed films and something O M

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Re: Parisian arrogance, high-speed films and something O M related.....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:17:49 -0800
Scott Gomez wrote:

Having lived in the Boston area myself, I have to agree. In fact I once saw
a tour bus driver wearing an "I survived Boston Traffic" t-shirt.

Wow, I guess I was lucky a couple of years ago when I flew into Boston, I headed straight North for Maine without going into town at all. Back when the freeway along the East side of the Southern part of SF Bay was commonly called the Nimitz, bumperstickers saying "I commute the Nimitz, Pray for Me" were common.

My experience is that people in cities of any size everywhere think their traffic is the worst, or close to it. Calgary, San Diego 20 yrs ago, San Juan, Costa Rica are some of the places where I've had natives complain/brag about their traffic and bad drivers and where a one eyed, one armed granny from a place with real traffic could drive through rush hour while completing a cross-word puzzle without strain. Mexico City 25+ years ago was the most exciting city I've driven in. Seemed like most drivers were men running in macro bull-fighter mode. It was an affront to their manhood, mother and family if anyone got in ahead of them. Within 10 years, the traffic had become impossible, but no longer dangerous or exciting. It's not possible to do much violence when speeds never get above a crawl and the maximum distance between cars is less than a meter and usually much less. I've abandoned both a taxi and a bus there in monumental traffic jams that take hours to clear. Walk a mile or two and try again.

I think my peak traffic triumph was this LHD 'Mercun rowing a little rented RHD Ford across central London with his left hand at peak afternoon trafic time from Victoria Station to Hampsted in record time to avoid losing his precious hotel reservation. It was the year of the Queen's Silver Jubilee, London was packed and there was a family sitting on their suitcases in the lobby waiting to take my room when I sprinted in on the stroke of 6 pm.

Moose