Re: [OM] Re: Spot-metering madness

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Spot-metering madness
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:46:18 -0800

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That can't be right...
if the testing methodology is near correct, i.e. lighting is actually
even. The fact that the error is there with 50mm standard lenses
indicates it isn't just the 'angle of incoming rays' effect...

Perhaps the test could be repeated, metering from a light table. That should eliminate both the unevenness and possible shadowing of the subject by the photographer. I seem to recall the original involved a wall, no?

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>

I just tried to reproduce it without all the lenses. I put my 35-80 on my OM-4T and pointed it at a blank part of the garage wall in open shade. Center weighted average meter reading, spot at 35mm end of zoom and spot reading at the 80mm end of the zoom are all the same. I don't get bizarre exposures with my pictures(that I can blame on the camera) and I use 'chromes' almost exclusively and the spot meter a lot. I don't think there is anything generically wrong with the OM4/T/Ti spot meter. I am not sure how the meter knows what the F-stop of the lens that is attached. Could it be some linkage variability in 30 year old lenses that have never been CLAd?

Or a camera that has a malfunction? Just a cautionary tale. Many years ago I bought an OM1n as a back up because I was still suspicious of electronics in cameras. It was very clean except for a social security number engraved in the top plate. I took it to the official Olympus service facility, got a CLA and a new top plate. (Before I knew about John) When I went to Thailand I planned to use it as my inside camera with the fast film. The meter failed. When I sent it to John charged me a tampering fee to cover the cost of meter repair because whoever had been inside it before jammed the meter wires into the wrong place and caused the meter to fail eventually. It has worked just fine ever since.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA