Re: [OM] i'm the heretic - was lenses and aperture rings

Subject: Re: [OM] i'm the heretic - was lenses and aperture rings
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:18:35 +1300
Tom wrote;

> Wow, those images are, well, disturbing.......

While I agree that Dizel has created some disturbing images there, he HAS
created some images of a kind that very few of us have displayed within the
confines of this group in the short 18 months I have been here.

With few exceptions (Skip, for people in the street, Damon, and Bolty, come
to mind) few of us go beyond the realms of landscapes, realistic animals and
plants, architecture, and so on. And I must not forget also Ira Kahn and his
amazing shot in the last winter exchange ( NB still a few shots to be sent to
Bob Gries for the web show ! hint hint) he's done others similar I've seen.

(Diversion - I just did a little search and see what I came up with - explains
the inventiveness of the Ira shots we have seen in the group

http://www.wetdesign.com/irakahn.html
http://www.halffg.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/halffg/gall04.html
http://www.geocities.com/taws9750/figures.html
http://ndm.si.edu/EXHIBITIONS/fountains/fountains_vii.htm )

Back on topic

But very few of us do street / journalism / people art photography. The sort of
work that Le*ca's seem to have been designed for.

How many of us have spent the time planning and carrying out a photo
session on a person or people, or parts thereof, to the degree that George
did for his Horsetail Falls shots?

What am I saying? I'm as hide-bound as any of us when it comes to people
photos, so I welcome somebody who shows us new (for this group) subject
matter and techniques. Outside the square.

(PS, if I've missed somebody's person shot, my apologies; it's the general
thrust of the argument that is important and I think I have that right)

Brian