RE: [OM] [OT] 6 x 6 scanning

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] 6 x 6 scanning
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:36:44 -0000
Hi Donald,

<snip>
I may be in the market for a new flatbed (we lament the passing of the
cheapo original, sob sob), and would be willing to pay a little more for one
which would also do a decent job of scanning my 6 x 6 trannies / negs.
</snip>

I started a brief thread about a related subject a couple of days ago.  My
one was really about anyone with opinions of the Epson Perfection 2400
Photo, which I had read good reviews of for scanning slides & negs.

The main crux of my decision is whether to go for 2 scanners - 1 for film &
1 for flatbed work, or 1 good one that does both pretty well.  I was leaning
toward the latter option, and the Epson fits the bill fairly well.  From
what I can understand, it has a slide / neg adaptor with a light in the lid.
I also believe you can get a slide / neg adaptor for medium format as an
optional extra.  A couple of people on here have expressed that they have
been very happy with similar model Epsons, so if it's an "all-in-one" you
are looking for, it may be worth a look.

Of course, others have expressed that I would be better with 2 separate
scanners, but I'm not sure.  I'm not quite at the stage of wanting to scan
images with the intention of doing my own printing (one day it will happen
I'm sure) - for now it will probably be for sharing via CD or for web use.
I'm thinking a film scanner would be a waste at this stage, and by the time
I want / need one for doing my own prints, I could get something much better
for my money.

Anyway, YMMV, but it's just my thoughts ...

And if you go the route of a dedicated film scanner, I've heard some good
things about the Minolta one ( whichever one it is that does Medium Format
as well - all I know is it is VERY expensive !!)

Regards,

Jon