Re: [OM] Sunpak 120 J TTL or other bare bulb flash opinions....

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunpak 120 J TTL or other bare bulb flash opinions....
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:57:37 -0500
I have not used one, and like you have contemplated buying one. It has significantly more power than a T-32, and when used in conjunction with a "slab" it has a very, very short cycle time from full dump. However, cycle time from full dump using four internal "AA" cells is quite long, and because of its power, you don't get very many full-power flashes from a set of cells. Reportedly has an issue with the head rotation becoming slightly loose under *hard* use.

I do have Sunpak's OM TTL module and use it with a Sunpak 555 handle mount. Same module as for the 120J, but uses a different cord to connect it to the flash. Works very well; with it, the Sunpak behaves just like an Olympus T-series. I believe Sunpak quite making the OM TTL module, but they're not that hard to find with some searching and a little patience.

The only other shoe/bracket mount bare-tube unit I know of is the Quantum, which requires the use of a "slab" to power it . . . ostensibly a Turbo or Turobo-Z. Very, very expensive by comparison, but loaded up with more features and much more output control. I'd love to have one of these Quantum units, along with the TTL cord, OM TTL module (which Quantum still makes), and Turbo slab, but cannot justify the cost based on how much I would actually use it.

Sunpak also makes a bare tube head for its highest power, mondo handle-mount flash, but AFIK there's no bowl reflector for it. Strangely, pictures of this head look similar to the head on a 120J with the bowl reflector removed.

--John