Re: [OM] Hello all and good morning..

Subject: Re: [OM] Hello all and good morning..
From: "Dizel" <webmaster@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:47:16 +0100
> >2/85 Zuiko Auto-T (obviously MC), also Kiron 80-200/4 for those rare
> >ocassions I would ever need anything longer than 85mm).
>
> My 85/2 is a silvernose SC, and it's also one of my favourites, but I see
> the 85mm focal length as a kind of "narrow standard". I like very much
> 135mm's, especially the Zuiko 135/3.5. I also own a Tamron SP 70-210/3.5,
> but now I seldom use it -- it's *a lot* heavier and bigger!

:) For my streetphotography, 35mm is standard and 50mm is a bit too long.
But for landscapes 85mm is beautiful :) Now I just hope to find 2/35 Zuiko
one day.. :)

> On a "star-test" I did on the MC 50/1.4 and the 'miJ' 50/1.8 (among other
> brands), the 1.4 showed a lot of coma and other aberrations at 1.4 - 2; at
> 2.8 it was only marginally better than the 50/1.8 *wide open*. At 2.8 and
> beyond, the 50/1.8 performs great, with excellent resolution, but contrast
> is never very high

I also like most the 1.8 images - it separates subject from unsharp
parts of image very nicely - something that 1.4 couldn't do as nice.
I just did some night shots on Efke KB25 with 1.8 @ f/5.6. I will see
if it will be good enough on 30x40.. :)

> BTW, I've got also a couple of Russian rangefinders. Which lenses do you
> use with your Leica/Zorki hybrid? I'm impressed with the picture quality of
> the Jupiter-8 (50mm F2).

Jupiter 8 is a clone (optically exact clone) of ein-funfer - Zeiss Sonnar 2/50
for Contax rangefinders. This is not a supersharp lens wide open - instead,
at f/2 - f/2.8 it gives beautiful unsharpness, particularly pleasant for
portraits. at f/8 Jupiter sharpens up very nicely - like Dagor in large format.
Another, even sharper lens is Jupiter 3 (1.5/50) - also a Sonnar copy. Industars
are all Tessars - center sharp at f/3.5. edges critically sharp at f/8, high
contrast. Non standard lenses? Look for Jupiter 12 (2.8/35) - copy of Zeiss
Biogon - very little and very sharp, perfectly rectilinear lens with strange
protruding rear element. Also acht-funfer - Jupiter 9 (2/85) is nice -
it exhibits similar image shape like Jupiter 8 and also is a Sonnar, so
even single coated will be good, assuming you will use a hood when shooting
backlight subjects. If you seek Leica lenses for your camera - buy a Summitar
2/50 on eBay. For less than 100$ you get a very decent lens, sharp as
everything you can find from f/5.6 and giving very pleasant images
wide open:

http://watteau.neurosoft.net/photos/portraits2.jpg
http://watteau.neurosoft.net/photos/portraits3.jpg

For _sharpest_possible_ images look for Voigtlander (Cosina)
Heliar 3.5/50. Here is the review by Erwin Puts:
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/japan/voigt3550.html

> They have quite different image styles, but I think I prefer the 1.8's
> bokeh. It's easy to have the background blurred a lot with f/1.4, but
> defocused lightspots show slightly brighter "rings" in any Zuiko 50/1.4.
> Size apart, the 40/2 looks much nicer.

OOC*: Oh, I would love to have Zuiko 2/40 one day.. :)))

*) Obligatory Olympus Content ;)
--
                                St.
               (XS360 Diesel - Sampo Lappelil, ŹliMC)