re: [OM] OT: College as trade school

Subject: re: [OM] OT: College as trade school
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 20:27:04 -0800
> It's the REALLY lucky ones who can make /have made a decision early in
> their life about what they want to do with / in their life, and are absolutely
> certain about that.

Absolutely true, Brian. It's been interesting going through this with my
daughter and her friends lately. They just graduated from school last
year (one of the toughest in the country) and are facing the real world.
My thought is that whatever major they chose the real benefit is the
confidence gained when they realized they could put it together and
graduate. The school requires they  research, write and defend a thesis
so this is no small feat. Good preparation for anything they might
attempt. I noticed a big difference in all of them over the 4-5 years. I
got to know quite a few as they stayed with us over the summers. Jobs so
far range from just getting by, saving for travel to research and grad
school. My daughter is going to grad school after a break. Her roommate
is working at SLAC (Stanford).

mike