Re: [OM] Re: From Gary Reese: Olympus at WPPI

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: From Gary Reese: Olympus at WPPI
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:02:16 +0000
For UK readers; I think www.empire.co.uk is still offering its 1200rice
guarantee - bought an Ixus (Elph) DC for my daughter this Christmas from
them.  You have to pay their price and get the 120 0ifference refunded
when you send them a screenshot of the other dealer website (and they may
do their own check for price/availability) - but they offered a price match
(to any slime-ball) on the spot.
When I asked how they could do it, they said their contract with C*n*n
guaranteed them the lowest price and it's C*n*n that takes the hit, not
them.
good shopping
jez

>From: William Clark <wclark@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [OM] From Gary Reese: Olympus at WPPI
>
>Good news here and bad.
>
>Good in that Olympus is at least working on something...bad is that it is
>taking forever.  They should have made an E-30 in the interim to keep
people
>interested.

OTOH, the $2000 E20 that I "stole" from Staples.com for $1300 less than a
year ago before they got wise* is now selling for under $1000. For $2000,
it was a fine camera. For $1000, it's an OUTSTANDING camera!

*Staples was offering "lowest price, or 1100f the difference back." You
called one of the slime-ball New York dealers and got a ridiculous
camera-only price, which of course they wouldn't honor without including
hundreds of dollars of useless, grossly over-priced accessories. You then
paid list price at Staples, and submitted the slime-ball quote, and they
refunded you 1100f the difference! They are now excluding certain
categories of merchandise from their 1100rice match, including digital
cameras.