[OM] Re: shadowless photography

Subject: [OM] Re: shadowless photography
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:45:34 -0800
>From: "danrich" <danrich@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>What are some of the best setup equipment gadgets to create shadowless
>photographs for catalog work, bugs, people.

Here is a four-light set That I use for VRs of smallish items. In retrospect,
my main light needed another stop or so, but the client was happy...

First, the result (you will need a free QuickTime plug-in for your browser):
  <http://www.bytesmiths.com/Services/Kitty.mov>

Except for needing another stop on the key light, I'm pretty happy with the
shadowlessness on the subject. The bottom shadows were from the "sparkle"
light, and were on purpose. If you eliminate ALL shadows, you eliminate sense
of perspective and depth. The key is CONTROLLING shadows, not ELIMINATING them.

Further edits evened out exposure between frames and eliminated the horizon
line, but I don't have a small version of the final handy.

Here is a close shot of the set-up:
  <http://www.bytesmiths.com/Services/TheMakingOfKittyMoov1.jpg>

I went to Home Depot and bought a translucent lens used for florescent ceiling
light fixtures. These make great diffusers for under $6 each. Get the
higher-priced acrylic ones (rather than the cheaper polystyrene ones) because
they will bend and shape better. I used masking tape to curve it into a
cylinder section.

Inside is a kitchen "lazy susan" that I covered with a piece of white Sintra,
which is a durable, lightweight plastic sort of foam core. I calibrated the
base with degree marks for precise turning.

This show was taken with the modelling lights, and shows a good lack of
shadows, except for the purposeful down-shadow.

Here's another set-up shot:
  <http://www.bytesmiths.com/Services/TheMakingOfKittyMoov2.jpg>

This shows the sparkle light and one of the two fill lights. These are mounted
to a copy stand, so I could move them around easily. I would have liked to have
put the fill lights more toward the front, more directly to the side.

The main light is off-stage to the left, behind a large diffuser. This
"diffuser" came from Camping World -- it's a windshield sun-screen for a large
RV! You get TWO of them for $19.95, whereas a SINGLE smaller Photoflex diffuser
costs $60 or more.

Equipment: "Kitty cam": Olympus E20n, "making of" shots done with Olympus
D-600L. Benbo #1 tripod. Gossen LunaStar F2 flash meter. Lighting: 2400
watt-second Speedotron Brownline with three M11 main/fill strobes and one MW3R
hair light for sparkle.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>