Re: [OM] Altitude/okay, maybe OT now ??

Subject: Re: [OM] Altitude/okay, maybe OT now ??
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:40:14 -0400
From: Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Wayne & co
>
> I think that one has to recognise there are some (many ? ) conditions of
light
> where, if you take a photo, you KNOW you won't like the result.
> If I'm bent on taking photos and I'm faced with the problem of bad /
difficult
> light, mostly I won't take the shot. I'll come back later when there's
better
> light.

Brian, I agree with you here. I think I'm starting to train myself to look
at the light, not just the scene, something I didn't do before. It is
frustrating though, because when down there it seems I usually don't get a
chance to return to the same spot twice.  But this is something I will
definitely be looking for next time.

> Right now where I am it is mid-afternoon; a scorchingly hot day with not a
> cloud in the sky, and for the first 150 feet above ground there's heat
haze.

Okay, just keep rubbing it in.  I just came back in the house from
shovelling snow, after yesterday's ice storm followed by an overnight
snowstorm. Now I'm trying to get the frostbite out of my cheeks!
   Just remember, the sun will be coming our way soon!

> A pro would probably have an answer.

Brian, I don't think there are too many answers pros would have that cannot
be found here on this list. :-)

> To keep your costs down I suggest you bring a Zuiko 50mm, perhaps an
> MIJ. Filters are cheaper for the 49mm diameter.

Yes, I find myself back to using a Zuiko 50/1.8 at least 500f the time now
anyways. Funny how once in a while the least expensive things in life are
also the best. It sometimes takes a while to recognize it though.

> BTW, that slide with what you think is lens flare; to my eyes that's a
light
> leak in the camera. I think you should take a close look at the foam.

Hmmm, maybe, but I don't remember seeing a series of the same on other
photos. My son has that camera right now, but I'll check it out.

> Brian

Thanks,
Wayne