Re: [OM] the debate

Subject: Re: [OM] the debate
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:27:32 -0500
Yes, I've thought about the view that Reichmann is testing a 35mm digital
camera vs. MF film + scanner, and you're right.

But the real-world fact is that a large percentage of the high-end color
printing that occurs today is via scanning and subsequent digital printing.
Would you have had Reichmann print the digital files and compare them agains
enlarger-printed prints?  Then you are comparing digital-camera + printer +
paper/ink vs. film + enlarging lens + paper/chemistry + technician skill.

And I don't belive for a minute that he was trying to do a be-all-end-all test.
 I believe that this is a very valid test of two typical workflows for working
professionals with two very different camera & output systems.  It's not
perfect, but what he did is the way that most of the professionals and advanced
amatuers actually use these systems.

And isn't that really the point?  It's not that the process is perfect, but
that it's comparable to reality.

And I'm sure that he is biased, but if you were in his position, and you were
using the same equipment and having his results, wouldn't you want to tell the
world?  That's the way of the internet, isn't it?  To be a self-publisher and
self-proclaimed expert?

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost