[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3854

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3854
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:58:18 -0800
>From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: graphics tablet
>
>OK I was nearly seduced into getting the Graphire2 but am now wondering
>if buying the cheapest model is false economy... I'm wondering if the added
>programmable features of the Intuos2 4x5 plus limited lifetime warranty
>make it a better long term investment despite the $100 bump in price.

I'm not certain of the details, but the Intuos line has performance
improvements, as well as additional features. Something about the number of
levels of pressure, I think. That's probably why the two DON'T USE THE SAME
DAMN PENS! (Okay, I'll behave now... :-)

>a tablet is the type of
>device that won't be obsolete nearly as soon as a CPU for example so a
>it might actually have a "lifetime" to guarantee.

I'm still using an ADB-interface ArtZ 8x6 that is probably close to ten years
old. Of course, I have to use it on a seven-year-old computer because of the
ADB interface...

The biggest way such things obsolesce is through interface change. New models
today don't have ADB ports, and new computers in ten years may not have USB
ports. Sure, you may be able to use an add-on card, but in my experience, such
things don't last long before you can't get drivers for them.

>The main reason I had
>for considering a tablet was for doing accurate selections in PS.

I never draw selections. You can almost always find some contextual way of
making a mask that is superior.

Also, the BIG advantage of a pen over a mouse is not control, it's PRESSURE!
It's like adding a 3rd dimension to your mouse!

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>