Re: [OM] lens for copy work

Subject: Re: [OM] lens for copy work
From: "gries" <gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:07:13 -0600
Jamie:

i think the only problem with color slides is that the range is too short
for some B+W photographs.  i would recommend the scala as you are close to
the lab and can have results quickly.  i also think the range is better -
espescially when pulled to ISO 100.

for lenses, i don't think the 80/4 would work unless you had it on a shorter
tube than the 65-116.  as i don't have mine in front of me, i can't really
check! ;)  the 135/4.5 may work well, but i would suggest strobe light as
there might be some movement at that magnification and focal length.
however, if you use a sturdy tripod and mirror/aperture prefire, you should
be alright.

daylight is best as tungsten can be a little flat in the contrast.  if you
have an area outdoors that is in the shade, but is illuminated by reflected
light, then i would suggest that.  copy stands are useful for this, but if
you are using the 135, it may not fit.  another trick i use if you use
strobe heads is to bounce the light off a white card instead of all the
polarizing mess.  the colors seem much better to me, and with the right
care, most reflections can be minimized.

hope this helps!
Bob