Re: [OM] print profiles follow up

Subject: Re: [OM] print profiles follow up
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:16:28 -0600
At 04:32 PM 1/28/2003 -0800, you wrote:
The other two
books i ordered are, "Digital Photography Bible" Ken Milburn (from
Lama's post), and "Adobe Photoshop 6 for Photographers", Martin Evening.
The latter is also available in a newer version for PS7. Anyone familiar
with these books? Any others to be recommended?

Mike

"Real World Photoshop," Fraser & Blatner. Considered the Bible by some wonks. Look up Bruce Fraser in Google and you'll find his on-line tutorials as well.

You might also enjoy Ian Lyons' tutorials. His site has been drastically altered since I used to frequent it, but I think this link works:

http://www.rgbnet.co.uk/ilyons/home.htm

Someone else encouraged the purchase of a hardware monitor calibration aid (sometimes called a "spyder" or "puck"). I purchased one from Colorvision (see Google) and have not regretted it. Adobe Gamma leaves much to be desired. Their best deals involve a package that includes the spyder for calibration and profiling software to make the printer behave (but at a cost of multiple hundreds of $$$). The latter is more important if you are apt to use non-Epson inks in an Epson printer, for example, or the printer with non-Epson papers. If you stay in the printer's family of products, the canned profiles provided usually are sufficient. But if you want to print a lot and buy something like a continuous inking system for your printer, you may find it necessary either to buy custom profiles or to build them yourself with Colorvision or Monaco software and a flatbed scanner.

Talk about going over to the Dark Side ... Anyway, enjoy! And take all this with a grain of salt as I puttered around with color management setup several years ago and haven't looked back at what is obviously a constantly shifting and drifting area of development.

Joel W.