[OM] OM] Camedia 5050 & C*n*n G3

Subject: [OM] OM] Camedia 5050 & C*n*n G3
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:14:19 -0800

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:27:22 +1100
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [OM] Camedia 5050

Actually, I'll add to it. The C*n*n G3 has a wonderful tilting
screen, that not only flips around all the way to face forward
(and on the way that means you can use your camera in "stealth"
mode in portrait format - the 5050 really only works
conveniently this way in landscape format), but also closes
screen-side in (protecting it from nose-greese and finger
marks - I'm a pedant with sunglasses, keeping them spotless,
so getting marks on the DC screen so easy drives me nuts).

Marc,
The tilting screen on the G3 is really nice, and a nicer implementation
for the LCD than the one on the C5050Z. I like the build quality on the Oly better,
it seems like a more robust camera physically, but I am not crazy about the
form factor for the C2020, 3030, 4040, 5050 etc. series. I find the left most
mounted viewfinder a bit clumsy and the overall body is kinda chunky and clunky.
Tough to fit  into a CamelBak backpak or motorcycle tank bag.
Time for a new design. I like the more conventional design to the camera body on the G2/G3 better. For me the noise level on the C5050Z is unacceptable...they not only put more pixels on the
camera, but in a smaller chip. I think the hot ticket in this series of cameras
is the C4000Z (or the C4040Z when it was in production). The shutter lag on
the C5050Z is a real problem for me too, notably slower than the C4040Z, which
drove me to distraction at times. Also, all the C4040 and C5050 has notable levels
of chromatic aberration. The C4000Z with it's f/2.8 lens, has less it seems.

Still, the tilt of the 5050 (same as the E-x0's I believe) *is*
something I haven't had the pleasure of before. Makes me more
interested in that classic pose of a TLR-user, looking *down*
into the viewfinder....for when the standard of my work makes
medium-format worthwhile ;-)

Apart from build, handfeel and sensor-size, the thing that
swayed me away from the G3 was something not necessarily so
rational - apparently you can see the lens significantly in the
viewfinder (not LCD screen though) of the G3. Even as a C*n*n
EOS fan (this camera follows a similar interface to the EOS
series of cameras, and accepts my 380EX flash completely),
that just screamed "Ick!" to me - an annoying compromise
(not entirely rational of me, as the viewfinders are nothing
to write home about, as already mentioned, and I can't see
me using them much for my purpose)

Yes, the fact the lens obstructs the viewfinder in the camera at wide angles really bothers me about the G3, too. I would never buy one for this reason. I think the G2 would be the one I would
get instead.

Since my C4040Z got ripped off, I am still in the market for a P&S type digital....I like the Stylus Oly's (at least from what I have seen). But I will probably end up with a Powershot S45....uses the same flash card as the D60, and I like the fact it shoots in RAW mode. I also like the very quick shutter release, and the little click sound you get when you take the photo with the S-series cameras. They sell S45's for $429 at Calumet in S.F., and that seems like a screamin' deal.

-Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!