RE: [OM] Camedia 5050

Subject: RE: [OM] Camedia 5050
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:27:22 +1100
> Wayne Culberson [mailto:waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> -tilting screen (almost considering the G3 because of this).
> Wayne

I'll just trample all over general netiquette and say "Me, too!"

Actually, I'll add to it. The C*n*n G3 has a wonderful tilting
screen, that not only flips around all the way to face forward
(and on the way that means you can use your camera in "stealth"
mode in portrait format - the 5050 really only works
conveniently this way in landscape format), but also closes
screen-side in (protecting it from nose-greese and finger
marks - I'm a pedant with sunglasses, keeping them spotless,
so getting marks on the DC screen so easy drives me nuts).

Still, the tilt of the 5050 (same as the E-x0's I believe) *is*
something I haven't had the pleasure of before. Makes me more
interested in that classic pose of a TLR-user, looking *down*
into the viewfinder....for when the standard of my work makes
medium-format worthwhile ;-)

Apart from build, handfeel and sensor-size, the thing that
swayed me away from the G3 was something not necessarily so
rational - apparently you can see the lens significantly in the
viewfinder (not LCD screen though) of the G3. Even as a C*n*n
EOS fan (this camera follows a similar interface to the EOS
series of cameras, and accepts my 380EX flash completely),
that just screamed "Ick!" to me - an annoying compromise
(not entirely rational of me, as the viewfinders are nothing
to write home about, as already mentioned, and I can't see
me using them much for my purpose)

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz