[OM] RE: 35-80/2.8 (was 'Keeping "unused" lens')

Subject: [OM] RE: 35-80/2.8 (was 'Keeping "unused" lens')
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:26:11 -0600
I made the decision to take my 35-80/2.8 to Hawaii on our last trip there (and
left lenses like the 85-250/5 and 180/2.8 at home in favor of short teles and
the 2X-A to handle the long stuff).  I was tempted to take two primes instead
of the 35-80, but since I had never had the 35-80 in Hawaii I wanted to try it
in all the old familiar places.  And I actually was *trying* to travel light.

It was, of course, my most used lens, if only because of the focal length. I
took it everywhere and used it for everything from snapshots to tripod stuff.
I took many handheld frames with it on OM-2S while actually walking around in
the water.  I will probably never do that again, as I wake up with a start
when, in my dreams, it falls kerplop in the ocean.

When I think about the enjoyment of just shooting with OM cameras, especially
handheld, I do think about using some other lens.  But I never regret having
carried the 35-80 when the slides come back.

So I *should* give up my 50's (but I ain't gonna). :)

Joel W.