[OM] Re: Camedia 5050 vs E-10

Subject: [OM] Re: Camedia 5050 vs E-10
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:34:52 -0800
>From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > Jan Steinman [mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> > ...the E-10 has a LOT going for it for pro use...
>
>Just some clarification...

Yea, I looked the 5050 over again after writing that... engage mind, THEN
post... :-)

The intervalometer is neat on the E-x0. Here's an example (uses QuickTime):

  <http://www.bytesmiths.com/Products/TranslesceMovie.html>

I also have a hilarious time-lapse of my family, sitting around the table after
dinner. Lotsa fun!

>The 5050 has a hotshoe (no PC terminal though).

Since I work with studio strobes a lot, the PC terminal was a big plus.

Also, the E-series aperture goes to f11 -- but that may be diffraction-limited.

>One thing Jan mentioned which for me is quite significant
>also is the "SLR" business. The 5050 viewfinder is very
>crappy.

And the E-20 viewfinder is SWEET! Not quite an OM, but close.

To those who aren't satisfied with built-in zooms, don't underestimate the
value of SLR viewing, particularly combined with manual focus. There are LOTS
of "over-the-lens" attachments that you can't use very well with a viewfinder,
particularly one that is not parallax-corrected, like the 5050's.

I've got the Olympus close-up, wide, and 3x (aka "Uzi") lens attachments. The
3x gives me the equivalent of a 450mm f2.8 lens, in 35mm terms! Such
attachments are only useful via the LCD on the 5050.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>