RE: [OM] Camedia 5050

Subject: RE: [OM] Camedia 5050
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:27:05 +1100
> Clemente Colayco [mailto:litefoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> ...Still, it would be nice to buy second hand at USD 250? When,
> after a year and a half ?

Oy! Chris! Clemente! Shuuuuut-uuuup!!! <g>

I gave in to temptation and bought one a couple of weeks ago. :-)

FWIW, http://www.dpreview.com has reviewed it very recently (for
some reason my browsing isn't working at the moment, but it's
a couple of obvious clicks at the most from the main page).

There *are* quite a few other reviews of the thing on the
web that are more flattering, but for my money the review
above is the *fairest*, warts and all. Chromatic aberration
and noise is mentioned, and compared to other cameras. There
are some ways to reduce these things, particularly the noise
(the standard sharpening algorithms appear to be oversharp,
worsening the noise - thankfully, they're reducible to "-5"
in its terminology, or effectively "nil" in ours. It's quite
a customisable camera in a few ways for that hoard of available
settings).

FWIW, if I'd read this review, I still would have bought the
camera anyway, but knowing the camera, I get to say the
review is quite fair.

In a couple years time you can buy mine cheap, Clemente, and
I'll "up-spec'" to the latest Olympus digital camera, the
all-singing, all-dancing, Zuiko-retrofit, Maitani-designed OM-DC ;->
(or failing that, the C*n*n 1Dsuper-S with its 1gig sensor,
optic nerve implant and cerebral core-dump - I'll take hugely
-detailed pictures but won't remember how to feed or "ablute"
myself <g>)

Chris, buy it. Go on. You *know* you want to. <VBE"devil's
advocate"G>

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz