Re: [OM] ( OM ) Scanning and on-screen resolution

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Scanning and on-screen resolution
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:27:50 -0800

Brian wrote:

This might possibly open a can of worms, but anyway, here goes.

I've been playing with a print, about 8 x 12 inches, and scanned it at a variety of resolutions. Mostly this was due to my scanner misbehaving horribly, and swapping parts of the image around, and I tried several scanning resolutions to find if that would get around the misbehaving.

In the process, I found this.

When I scanned at 66 pixels/inch (25.98 px/cm) I got an image that was
(height = 20.01 cm / 520px / 7.87 in.)
(width = 29.56 cm / 768 px / 11.6 in.) as a pdd file

I presume the jpeg I converted it to is the same.
I adjusted colour and brightness, and did one simple sharpen. I did not re- size. The image has come out quite sharp with none of the over-sharp artifacts one sometimes sees, including none of the white halo >> effect.

When I scanned at 168 px / inch then after adjusting colour, brightness and contrast, resized and sharpened in that order (I think) I just could not get it as sharp no matter what method I used, and sharpening artifacts appeared quite quickly.

Are you getting the same result when you print? With my old version of Photoshop on my old computer anything viewed at a resolution that did not have an even divisor looked horrible, such as 1/3 or 2/3 views. Amazingly that is much improved with a new computer with Elements. So you may be reaching a conclusion based on your viewing apparatus. Did you try printing and get the same results?

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA