[OM] glasses/screens

Subject: [OM] glasses/screens
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:35:01 -0600
I've worn glasses most all my life. When they were just for distance, I took
them off for shooting, as the screen is effectively a meter or so distant,
as far as your eye is concerned. then, I used ground glass exclusively, both
when I shot Nikon, and on the OM.

Now, I wear progressive bifocals, which I like for regular use, but not so
much for photos. It's a real picnic getting the spot on the lens with the
right correction centered in the VF. I find that I am using focusing aids,
mainly split image, under certain circumstances, especially low light.

Having used the Xpan for a bit more than a year, I can say that there is
something good about rangefinders and glasses.

I don't know about the Pentax lenses, as they are available only in plastic,
and I use glass lenses. My optometrist tells me that it is impossible to get
corrections as accurate in plastic as in glass, and I am able to see a
difference of an eighth of a diopter.

The AR coating is quite helpful, although it requires special cleaning.
Interestingly, the latest lenses I got came with a paper indicating that the
coatings were Zeiss. Do I have T* eyeglasses?

Bill Pearce