Re: [OM] Focussing screens and glasses

Subject: Re: [OM] Focussing screens and glasses
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 08:57:12 -0600
At 08:35 PM 1/25/2003 +1300, Brian you wrote:
Clendon et al,

I've been wearing spectacles for (gulp !!) nearly 60 years (something's wrong
there surely !! that number gets bigger all the time), and I prefer using a 13 focussing screen. I can usually find a line to home in on in the image, and it
just makes accurate focusing so  much quicker, using the split image to line
up both sides of the same line.

I agree, although in many situations, especially macro, the focus point is not in the exact center of the final composition. With macro, I rarely use the split image in preference to the matte for this reason. Use of the split image almost always involves re-composition and re-composition means refocusing (in macro anyway, for me).

I had a weird experience recently with OM-1, 90/2, and 1-13 screen. I was trying to focus on a pink torch ginger flower at about 1:5 MR. I could not get the focus to pop on the matte area of the screen. I think the strong lighting on the pink flower just sort of overpowered the matte. I used the split image and hoped. Unfortunately, I underexposed the image anyway. :-(

Joel W.