[OM] Right angle finders / eye cups / reversing rings

Subject: [OM] Right angle finders / eye cups / reversing rings
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 07:40:30 -0500
That's interesting. While you have your catalogue handy, could I trouble you
to see whether they sell macro coupling rings? These are adapters that are
male threaded on both sides so you can reverse one lens onto the front of
another. The reversed lens then becomes a high-quality, high-power "close-up
lens" for the one on the camera. Only the diaphragm on the second lens needs
to operate, and of course it still does.

The recommended mode of use is to take a fast prime like the 50f1.4 and put
on the front of a longer lens like the 200f4 (which I'm considering buying
for this and other purposes). You then get approximately a 40mm lens at
200mm extension which yields 4X. Extreme magnification, but cheaply obtained
if you have or want both lenses anyway. John Shaw's "Closeups in Nature"
describes this (and recommends a homemade protector for the rear element of
the reversed lens).

Thanks,
Andrew